About Rajasthani Laal Maans Recipe: Laal maas is a fiery Rajasthani mutton curry. Lamb cooked in a variety of masalas with a burst of red chillies. This bright red coloured delicious dish is garnished with coriander leaves and a good amount of ghee looks utterly delicious.
Ingredients Of Rajasthani Laal Maans
2 Small onions, finely chopped, 2 green chillies, finely chopped, 18-20 red chillies, 2 tsp coriander seeds (whole), 1 tsp jeera, 1 cup mustard oil, 10 garlic cloves, finely chopped, 1 piece small ginger, finely chopped, 1/2 kg lamb (cut into pieces with bones), 1 tsp salt, 3-4 pods cardamom, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 cinnamon stick, A pinch of mace, 1 pod black cardamom, water, Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
How to Make Rajasthani Laal Maans
1. Dry roast the red chillies to give it a nice distinctive aroma which adds great flavor to the dish.
2. Add to that the coriander seeds and cumin seeds.
3. Once done, grind it into a nice fine powder.
4. Heat some mustard oil in a pan. Add to this the garlic and ginger.
5. Once the garlic turns slightly brown add the lamb pieces.
6. Give it a good mix. This is also a good time to add salt.
7. Now add the chopped onions and mix all well.
8. Once the onions have roasted well add the whole spices, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, mace, black cardamom. Stir well.
9. Now add the red chilly powder and let it roast for about a minute.
10. Add enough water to cook the lamb. Cover it and let it simmer for a couple of minutes till the meat is cooked.
11. Once the meat is cooked, take out all the pieces on a platter and strain the gravy.
12. Straining the gravy gets rid of all the whole spices and keeps the essence and flavors intact.
13. Now add the lamb pieces you had taken out to the refined gravy and put it back on fire but on low heat.
14. Add about 1/2 cup water and some coriander leaves.
16. Let it simmer for a while and when you reach a good consistency of gravy, turn off the heat.
17. Serve hot with a good garnishing of chopped coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: onions, green chillies, red chillies, coriander seeds (whole), jeera , mustard oil, garlic cloves, ginger, lamb (cut into pieces with bones), salt, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon stick, mace, black cardamom, water, coriander leaves